Landscape Capital is a new initiative of the BTG Pactual Timberland Investment Group aimed at delivering natural climate solutions (NCS) at scale. The role of NCS in the fight against climate change continues to gain broader recognition. The latest science shows that NCS can deliver a third of the climate mitigation necessary to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement. Yet, they receive only a small fraction of global climate finance.
Landscape Capital seeks to create large-scale NCS investment opportunities that deliver outsized benefits for climate, biodiversity and rural communities, while also generating appropriate, risk-adjusted financial returns. Landscape Capital will pursue climate-positive investment opportunities across the sustainable forest value chain, including investment in forest restoration, sustainably managed commercial tree farms and climate-positive forest products.
The BTG Pactual Timberland Investment Group (“TIG”) is one of the world’s largest timberland investment managers with approximately US$3.5 billion in assets and commitments and 2.6 million acres of commercial timberland investments in Europe, South Africa, Latin America and the United States.
TIG is committed to the delivery of superior, risk-adjusted returns through the disciplined construction of timberland investment portfolios, best-in-class sustainable forestry, and the application of industry-leading analytics to investment management. TIG leverages the global resources of the BTG Pactual platform and the deep, local expertise of our regional forestry staff to provide exposure to globally diversified timberland investment portfolios while maintaining consistent investment discipline and management controls across our investment footprint.
TIG seeks an Analyst/Associate to join our Landscape Capital team. The preferred location for this position is Seattle, however we will also consider hiring to our New York, Atlanta, or São Paulo offices. Under the supervision of the Head of Landscape Capital, the Analyst/Associate will support the development and implementation of climate-positive forest investment programs in North and Latin America that help deliver on the massive climate mitigation potential of the forest sector. Responsibilities will include:
· End-to-end participation in the development and implementation of NCS investment strategies that target financial returns, climate mitigation benefits, and other positive social and environmental impacts
· Supporting Landscape Capital and TIG’s business development, distribution, and client services functions
· Assisting in the development, management and ongoing support of internal and external strategic partnerships
· Leadership of specific process-improvement and other cross-business initiatives
· A passion for sustainability, natural resources, and the development of innovative, high-impact solutions to persistent social and environmental challenges
· 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in financial services, investment management, natural resources management, or a similar sector
· A creative, entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to thrive in a meritocratic workplace
· Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
· An ability to execute across a wide range of tasks, including large, open-ended, and complex strategic initiatives
· Ability to work both independently and within a team, to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and deliver against specific workplans and timelines
· Excellent communications skills and an ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including investment committee members, clients, partners, and others
Preferred Knowledge and Experience
· Previous experience in client facing/business development role in the investment management industry, including the completion of RFPs and Due Diligence Questionnaires
· A Master’s degree in Business Administration, forest economics, or a related discipline
· Knowledge of carbon policy, standards, protocols, and forest carbon offset markets
· Knowledge of financial modeling or similar quantitative analytical techniques
· Knowledge of forest management and forest operations
· Prior experience living or working internationally, particularly in Latin America
· Portuguese or Spanish language ability
Strong preference to fill this role in BTG’s Seattle office, which serves as the headquarters for the Landscape Capital practice. However, hiring to out New York, Atlanta and São Paulo offices may also be considered. Periodic domestic US and international travel will be required.